Bethlehem Centre, Nanaimo, British Columbia. See their website for location details and other helpful information about this sacred space.
Dates for the intensives:
Intensive 1: October 23 – 29, 2020
Intensive 2: April 16 – 22, 2021
Intensive 3: October 22 – 28, 2021
Intensive 4: April 29 – May 1, 2022
Received beginning January 1, 2020
June 1, 2020
- Applicants must receive ongoing regular spiritual direction for at least a year prior to the start of the program.
- Our standard and preferred course prerequisite for Art of Spiritual Direction is the completion of SoulStream’s one year program, Living From the Heart.
An equivalent to Living From the Heart may include the following from Carey Theological College:
- the two year Spiritual Formation certificate plus their course A Deepening Life of Prayer, or
- the two year Spiritual Formation certificate plus SoulStream’s directed study course Contemplative Prayer
We recognize that people interested in our program will come from many different experiences of spiritual formation. If you are seriously interested in the Art of Spiritual Direction and want to know if your experience of spiritual formation could be used as a prerequisite in lieu of Living from the Heart, please refer to the pre-application page. Click here.
The primary lens our team uses to consider applications is a careful review and discernment of suitability and resonance with the heart of our program.
Your application will be complete once SoulStream receives the following items by the June 1, 2020 deadline:
- $75 CDN non-refundable application fee.
- Your online response to the application questions. [Registration for 2020-22 is now closed]
- Two references:
- One online reference from your spiritual director. Forward this link to your spiritual director.
- One online reference from another mature Christian, whose walk with God you respect deeply who can speak to your life of faith and your growing interest in spiritual direction. This should not be a close family member. Forward this link to your reference.
Program Fees and Payment Schedule
Program fees* for Art of Spiritual Direction 2020-2022 are as follows:
- $4100 will cover course fees including all facilitation, course materials and supervision.
- Accommodation fees at Bethlehem Retreat Centre, Nanaimo, BC will vary depending upon your preferences.
- If you prefer a single room, accommodation will be $135/night. Total accommodations for the course will be $2,700.
- If you prefer to share accommodations, cost will be $110/night. Total accommodations for the course will be $2,200.
Course and accommodation fees will be payable as follows:
- 50% within one month of acceptance to the program ($3,400 or $3,150 depending on accommodation preferences)
- 50% by September 1, 2020 ($3400 or $3,150 depending on accommodation preferences)
Not covered by program fees are:
- Personal spiritual direction
- Books required for the course
SoulStream recognizes that unforeseen circumstances may arise that may cause participants to withdraw from the cohort. However, the format of the course makes it difficult to fill vacancies left by last minute cancellations and SoulStream faces our own cancellation fees and non-recoverable prepayments. With this in mind, the cancellation policy for Art of Spiritual Direction is:
- Accepted program participants who cancel before September 1, 2020 will be reimbursed 50% of the total course fees plus 10% of the total accommodation fees.
- Accepted program participants who cancel after September 1, 2020 will receive no reimbursement of the total course fees but will receive 10% of the total accommodation fees.
* For options to fit Art of Spiritual Direction into your life financially, see FAQ: Is there financial support available?