SoulStream Initiatives respects the privacy of the personal information of its contractors, students, donors, partners, and other stakeholders. SoulStream is committed to protecting the privacy of personal information entrusted to us. In line with that commitment, we seek to be transparent and accountable with respect to the collection, use, disclosure and security of personal information.
This policy sets out the principles that SoulStream Initiatives applies with respect to the collection, use, disclosure, and protection of personal information.
This policy applies to personal information of SoulStream’s contractors, students, donors, partners, and other stakeholders as well as applicants for admission as students and continuing education participants, or contracted agencies.
SoulStream’s Governance Board has designated its Executive Director and Administrator to take overall responsibility for the protection of personal information and compliance with this policy.
SoulStream shall implement policies and procedures to:
- Protect personal information;
- Receive and respond to complaints and inquiries;
- Communicate to all service contractors regarding privacy policies and practices; and
- Make SoulStream’s privacy policies available to the public.
If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
Purposes for Collection
SoulStream shall identify the purposes for which personal information is being collected at or before the time of collection. SoulStream shall communicate either orally or in writing the purposes for which personal information is collected at the time of collection. SoulStream shall not use or disclose for any new purpose any personal information without first identifying and documenting the purpose and obtaining the written consent of the individual concerned. The main purposes for which SoulStream collects personal information are as follows:
When you use our Contact form we collect your first name and last name and your email address so that we can correspond with you. We will only use this information to respond to your specific request.
Personal information of service contractors is collected to fulfill the following purposes:
- Maintain administrative and financial records in accordance with provincial and federal regulations
- Maintain personnel files in accordance with approved SoulStream policies
- Communicate, via email, telephone, or personal interview, details regarding special activities, events and planning
- Compliance with legal and regulatory requirements
Personal information of initiative participants is collected to fulfill the following purposes:
- Determine eligibility for admission to Living From the Heart and Art of Spiritual Direction;
- Provide educational services;
- Process financial transactions and applications for financial aid;
- Transfer information upon graduation to inquiring institutions;
- Provide accurate information to a third party when the student has requested a reference; and
- Comply with legal and regulatory requirements.
- When you use our website forms to apply for one of SoulStream’s courses or workshops we collect personal information so that we can correspond with you. Personal information may include: your first name and last name, address, phone numbers, email address, personal and educational background details. We will only use this information to respond to and process your application to the specific course or workshop.
- People who act as references for student applicants provide name, email, phone number, and information regarding their relationship to the applicant.
Alumni / Partners
Personal information of alumni and partners is collected to fulfill the following purposes:
- For communication: mailing/E-mail/Telephone/Face-to-Face contact for the objective of relating SoulStream’s activities/events/news;
- Establish and maintain responsible relations with alumni and partners and to provide ongoing service;
- Understand alumni and partner needs and preferences;
- Develop, enhance, advise and provide products and services; and
- Comply with legal and regulatory requirements.
Personal information of donors is collected to fulfill the following purposes:
- For communication: Mailing/E-mail/Telephone/Face-to-Face contact for the objective of relating SoulStream’s activities/events/news;
- For administration and maintenance of donation information and to ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements;
- Facilitation of fundraising activities to provide support for board approved programs and projects; and
- Comply with legal and regulatory requirements.
The knowledge and consent of individuals, expressed or implied, are required for the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information. Consent will not be obtained through fraudulent means or by deceptive methods, and clear communication will be employed to fairly and reasonably draw the individual’s attention to the issue of consent.
An individual’s expressed consent is communicated to SoulStream either personally or through an authorized representative. As appropriate, individual expressed consent to the collection, use and disclosure of personal information in exclusive conditions will be sought. In other circumstances, SoulStream will seek implied consent from individuals in situations where it is more fitting to seek consent through “opt-out” opportunities presented through direct mail publications, telephone, e-mail or other communication methods. Where such mechanisms are not employed by an individual, SoulStream shall be entitled to assume that the individual has consented.
Withdrawal of Consent
Any individual may withdraw his or her consent to the collection, use or disclosure at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. SoulStream shall comply with these requests and inform the individual of the implications and restrictions of such withdrawal of consent.
As prescribed by legislation, SoulStream may lawfully collect personal information without the knowledge or consent of the individual only under certain circumstances. Some examples are:
- Where collection of the personal information is clearly in the interest of the individual and consent cannot be obtained in a timely way;
- When collection and use of personal information is required in the case of an emergency that threatens the life, health or security of an individual;
- Where collection of the personal information with the knowledge or consent of the individual would compromise the availability of the accuracy of the information and the collection is reasonable for purposes of an investigation or a proceeding;
- When the information is already publicly available; and
- When the information is collected from another organization that collected it with the consent of the individual and the information is collected solely for the purposes for which it was previously collected and to assist that organization.
Collection of personal information shall be limited to that which is necessary for the purposes identified by SoulStream. The collection of personal information shall primarily be obtained from the individual concerned with their consent, either expressed or implied, through fair and lawful means.
Means of Collection
Personal information may be collected in many ways including, but not limited to:
- Personal communications between the individual and SoulStream;
- Publicly available information;
- Responses to mailings or other media;
- Communications from authorized representatives or individuals;
- Responses from SoulStream sponsored, or co-sponsored, events or activities.
Use, Disclosure and Retention
SoulStream shall not use or disclose personal information for purposes other than that for which the information was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as required or permitted by law. Personal information shall be retained only as long as is necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes. Personal information that is no longer required for its identified purposes or for legal or business requirements shall be destroyed or made anonymous. Personal information used to make a decision which affects an individual to whom the personal information relates shall be retained for no less than one year from the time of notifying the individual of the decision.
SoulStream shall not sell, rent or loan the personal information of its contractors, students, donors, partners, and partnered relationships to third parties. Except as stated below, personal information is not disclosed to any third party even those whose purpose could be construed to be compatible with that of SoulStream Initiatives. In disclosing personal information to third parties, SoulStream shall make every reasonable effort to ensure that the organizations to which the information is disclosed use that information only for the purposes for which it was disclosed.
We use Google Analytics to track visitors on this site.
User-level and event-level data stored by Google Analytics is automatically deleted after 26 months.
In order to be compliant with the new regulation Google included a data processing amendment.
The data we collect will be processed anonymously and “Data sharing” is disabled.
We don’t use other Google services in combination with Google Analytics cookies.
Google Analytics TOS | You may also opt out of Google Analytics
In addition to Google Analytics, your IP address may be tracked for analytics purposes through our web hosting company, Siteground, whose servers are based in Chicago, IL, USA. Siteground takes security seriously. See this article and this GDPR blog post.
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
The following personal information may be disclosed to a third party without consent:
- The credentials SoulStream awarded to the student and the date those credentials were awarded;
- The names of recipients and the amounts of subsidies or awards that have been conferred by SoulStream;
As permitted by legislation, personal information may be disclosed without consent in certain circumstances. These include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Where the disclosure is clearly in the interests of the individual and consent cannot be obtained in a timely way;
- Where the disclosure is necessary in order to collect a debt owed to the organization or for the organization to repay an individual money owed to them by the organization; and
- Where the disclosure is to a law enforcement agency in Canada, concerning an offence under the laws of Canada or a province, to assist in an investigation.
- In all other cases, personal information of an individual will not be disclosed to a third party unless consent has been obtained.
Students of SoulStream Initiatives
The SoulStream Administrator distributes to facilitators and their interns, class lists which shall include contact information of students registered for classes.
Officials and official Agencies
Personal information concerning individuals may be disclosed when it is legally required to do so (e.g., information required by subpoena or court order).
Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
We use DropBox to store website backups, which include database archives. Backup files are saved for a maximum of five years.
SoulStream shall make reasonable efforts to ensure that all personal information collected is accurate and complete, and shall also make reasonable efforts to keep the personal information up-to-date. It is the responsibility of the individual to whom the information relates to notify SoulStream of any changes or corrections to that information. Inaccurate information shall be corrected upon request made by the individual to whom the information relates. Supporting legal documentary evidence may be requested to substantiate the request.
SoulStream shall ensure the security of all personal information that is retained. Security arrangements will be employed to protect personal information against loss or theft, as well as against unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, modification, or disposal. Personal information shall be protected regardless of the format in which it is held. The nature of the safeguards will vary depending on the sensitivity of the personal information that has been collected, the amounts, distribution, and format of the information, and the method of storage. More sensitive personal information will be safeguarded at a higher level of protection.
Methods of Protection
- Physical: restricted access to offices, security systems with individual password protection.
- Organizational: disclosure of personal information within SoulStream shall be limited to those whose job responsibilities require access to such information.
- Technological: software security on LAN and individual computers is ensured through passwords and restrictive access.
- All personal data entered on our website contact form or in blog comments are stored in a secure database. Personal information from website forms and course applications shall be retained only as long as is necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes. You may request deletion any time.
- We monitor the security of our servers and will act immediately, if any irregularities are observed. If our website gets hacked and we believe your data is compromised, we will inform you via email as soon as possible.
Faculty and staff are regularly advised of privacy issues and their role in ensuring the protection of personal information.
Third Party Disclosure
We may receive data from websites that track your online activity such as Google Analytics and social media sites.
Destruction of Personal Information
SoulStream Initiatives shall ensure that care and attention is paid to the disposal or destruction of personal information to prevent unauthorized parties from gaining access to the information.
SoulStream shall ensure that its policies and procedures that ensure the privacy of personal information are communicated in a fashion that allows for access to this information without unreasonable effort. This Policy will be made available in a form that is reasonable and understandable.
SoulStream shall make available:
- The means of gaining information to personal information held by SoulStream;
- A description of the type of personal information retained by SoulStream and its use;
Communication tools that will be employed to highlight the above shall include, but is not limited to:
- SoulStream News publications;
- SoulStream website;
- SoulStream Administrator
Upon request in writing, SoulStream shall inform an individual of the existence, use and disclosure of his or her personal information and the individual shall be given access to that information, except where the law requires or permits SoulStream to deny access. The individual must provide sufficient information to permit SoulStream, with a reasonable effort, to provide an account of the existence, use and disclosure of personal information. This information provided will only be used to respond to the request for access made by the individual. SoulStream shall comply with the request within sixty days upon receipt of a request.
SoulStream may lawfully deny access by an individual to his or her personal information where:
- The information is protected by solicitor/client privilege;
- Disclosure of personal information results in the disclosure of the personal information of another individual.
If SoulStream denies an individual’s request for access to his or her personal information, the individual shall be notified of the reasons. The individual may then challenge this decision.
Links to Other Web Sites
The Site is not directed to persons under 16. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with Personal Information without their consent, he or she should contact us. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under 16. If we become aware that a child under 16 has provided us with Personal Information, we will delete such information from our files.
Notification of Privacy Statement Changes
We may update this privacy statement to reflect changes to our information practices. If we make any material changes we will notify you by email (sent to the email address specified in your account) or by means of a notice on this Site prior to the change becoming effective. We encourage you to periodically review this page for the latest information on our privacy practices.Top of Form
Compliance and Complaints
All complaints will be investigated. If the Administrator determines a complaint is justified, SoulStream will take appropriate measures, including, if necessary, amending its policies and procedures. The complainant shall be notified of the outcome of the investigation regarding his or her complaint.
If the Administrator is unable to address the complainant’s concerns, the issue shall be referred to the Executive Director.
35535 Mckee Rd
Abbotsford, BC V3G 3E4
Phone: (604) 854-1214